A funeral announcement is an official notice of a person’s passing, including details about the funeral and related services. Effective word choice honors the deceased, while conveying event information concisely. Here are a few tips and tricks on how to best go about writing one.
The first rule of writing is to distinguish between an obituary and a funeral announcement. Generally speaking, obituaries are printed in newspapers or other publicly circulated media aimed at the general public. That means obituaries are public knowledge accessible to everyone within a community. They may also include a short biography, as well as surviving family members, and brief funeral information.
Funeral announcements are also written about the deceased for somewhat different reasons. Unlike an obituary, these announcements share pertinent information about the funeral and are only sent to family, friends and acquaintances. Their circulation is private rather than public, and veers away from biographical information.
Obituaries and funeral announcements may follow general guidelines, although certainly, there’s room for personalization. What you wish to include in your version depends on personal preference, your target audience as well as funeral specifics. You may also want Please also remember to provide information for those who are unable to attend and wish to express their condolences.
Here’s a basic checklist when writing a funeral announcement:
Name or names of the deceased (i.e., full name as well as possibly a nickname, maiden or prior (sur)name)
Residential details (either at the time of passing or during childhood)
Date of passing
Former place of employment
Funeral service (including the day, date, time and location and whether it is open to the public)
Surviving family members
Donation details (whether donations are accepted including how and where to send them)
Photo of the deceased
Your specific wording may vary, although these templates serve as a helpful guide. Feel free to adjust as needed.
1. Friends, family and acquaintances of [family name] are invited to attend the funeral of [deceased’s name]. The service will be held at [location] from [time] on [date].
2. It is with great sadness that we inform you of the death of our beloved husband/wife and father/mother [name] on [date]. A memorial service will be held on [date].
3. A life of beauty deserves sincere remembrance. Please join us in aas in a celebration of life for [name].
4. The [name] family invites you to join them for a heartfelt memorial service at [time] on [date]. Please bring your thoughts and memories of [name]. Reception to follow.
5. In loving memory of [name]. Beloved husband/wife of [husband’s name], mother/father of [children’s names], grandma/grandpa of [grandchildren’s names] and sister/brother of [sibling’s names]. May he/she remain forever in our hearts. Please join us on [date] from [time] for a funeral at [location].
6. A funeral service in honor of [name]. Please join us on [day of week], [date] at [time] at [location]. All are welcome.
7. In humble acceptance of God’s will, we are deeply saddened to announce the passing of [name] on [date of death]. The memorial will be held at [location] on [date] from [time]. Reception immediately to follow. In lieu of flowers, please send donations to [organization name].
8. Family and friends of the [surname] family are invited to attend a private memorial for [name]. Please join us at [location] on [date] at [time]. A burial will follow at [location]cemetery [location] beginning at [time]. Donations or condolences may be sent to [name and address].
Sharing service arrangements and notifying friends and loved ones is an important task. Including relevant details about the deceased, his/her family and service arrangements is all that’s needed. May you and your family find peace during this time of loss.